Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If a return was filed on 3/11/2020, would the automatic payment have been extended automatically to July 15th?

david21
Level 1

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

2 Comments 2
abctax55
Level 15

Nope.

To change the payment date, a call to the IRS would be in order.

BUT, I'm guess the payment came out as scheduled (4.15?) and the client is unhappy?

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
FMES
Level 3

I am trying to reply to abctax55. 

Although I too was under the impression that previously scheduled Federal tax E-payment for April 15th were to be processed accordingly, I have a client that E-payment was not made.  The E-filing of the tax return was accepted on March 19th, with an E-payment scheduled for April 15th. Yet, no payment has been processed to date.  We have double checked all bank info and corresponding input.

IRS Notice 2020-18 is dated March 18th, but since the taxpayer lives abroad and at that time the postpone due date was not applying to U.S. citizens living abroad. Then again we didn't included the corresponding election, so besides the foreign address Lacerte/IRS would processed it as a normal April 15th filing.

Does anyone else have this situation? Has anyone spent 2 hours waiting for assistance and ask Lacerte for their take on this?  Is there anyway to be sure the payment will be made on July 15th?

0 Cheers