Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I e-filed a federal extension but the current form 4868 is adjusted based on income entered. How do I see the original form 4868 that was e-filed?

NCred99
Level 1

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

4 Comments 4
itonewbie
Level 15

Wouldn't you have a copy on file, which should have been sent to your client along with the F.8878?  You are required to retain the F.8878 duly signed by your client for 3 years.

The short answer is, no.  If you did not override those numbers under Payments, Penalties & Extensions > Extensions (4868/2350), you won't be able to retrieve the numbers you had at the time when the extension was filed.  Best practice would be to save a copy of the draft return (that would be left intact - although subject to changes due to version updates), print a hard copy for your records, and use the working copy to complete the return for filing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

I believe you only need the 8878 if the client was authorizing an electronic funds withdrawal. If not making a payment you shouldn't need the 8878.

PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

Yeah, there's no 8878 if the tax isn't being paid electronically.

I override the extension numbers, because otherwise they change.

itonewbie
Level 15

My assumption was that there was a payment but you're right.  It's not required if there's no authorization for fund withdrawal.  I would still override the extension numbers to lock them up as Phoebe does.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers