Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HI. Does Proconnect have a way to calculate the QBI deduction on an individual's tax return? Does anyone else find this software very poor in design?

maya
Level 1

Every time I try to find the input for QBI in proconnect, I get directed to a knowledge base article. I don't need more knowledge, I need to be able to input information and know it is being calculated correctly. Anyone else having trouble with this.

I need to know how to input the QBI deduction for an individual who does NOT have a schedule C ( info coming from K-1).

a) I cannot find a way to input this info from the K1

b) I cannot find a way to input this info directly onto the 1040.

c) does anyone else find proconnect to be the worst tax software ever? Glad I'm only doing the trial version....

d) I'd ask tech or customer service these questions but there appears to be none (they say there is but no one answers phone and chat is always unavailable).

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

"I get directed to a knowledge base article. I don't need more knowledge"

But apparently, you do need more knowledge.  If you had read the articles and made your entries as instructed, you'd know that it works as designed, at least as far as Sch C and K-1 are concerned, both with and without phase-in as well as loss allocation.  I have yet to try Sch E safe harbor, Sch F, and SSTB though.

Info for QBI is included on each K-1, on Line 20 for 1065 and Line 17 for 1120S, and there are corresponding line items for those entries in the left panel of PTO.  You may want to re-read at least these 2 articles:

https://accountants-community.intuit.com/articles/1786608-proconnect-tax-online-simplified-worksheet...

https://accountants-community.intuit.com/articles/1791143-proconnect-tax-online-complex-worksheet-se...

[Edited: Remove incorrect reference to comment]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
17 Comments 17
itonewbie
Level 15
IMHO, PTO is not poor in design - there are just certain limitations.  It is capable of handling complex returns and quite versatile because it's got Lacerte under the hood (if you haven't noticed) but you pay much less, partly because you also get less in terms of functionalities and those nice to have features.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
@The Intuit Boris @Kathi_at_Intuit @ITO_KatieB @Intuit Austin PTO (and possibly Lacerte) has a bug and is not allocating 1/2 SE-tax deduction to reduce QBI coming from K-1 (at least on 1065) whenever the K-1 is marked as belonging to the Spouse.  This doesn't happen with Sch C.  Could you please take a look and give us an update?  Please see also my post on FB.  Thanks!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1529270910639612/permalink/2365305990369429/?comment_id=236592974364...
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 12
There is no SE tax on S corp k-1 income, only partnership.
** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
Oops, you're right.  Don't know what got over my head.
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
IntuitAustin
Intuit Alumni
@itonewbie @Accountant Man As long as this is the same issue brought up in the Facebook group, I've got it pushed over to tax development for further review. The behavior is the same in Lacerte. I will update here and the FB group when we hear back :smile:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Accept as solution"
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
It's the same issue.  Thanks, @Intuit Austin!
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
IntuitAustin
Intuit Alumni
Good Morning! Our development team reviewed the issue with a K-1 being marked as spouse and how it calculated the QBI, that issue is getting resolved in an update coming out tomorrow (2/1) @itonewbie

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Accept as solution"
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
Sounds good!  Appreciate the timely support from you and your team, @Intuit Austin!
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

"I get directed to a knowledge base article. I don't need more knowledge"

But apparently, you do need more knowledge.  If you had read the articles and made your entries as instructed, you'd know that it works as designed, at least as far as Sch C and K-1 are concerned, both with and without phase-in as well as loss allocation.  I have yet to try Sch E safe harbor, Sch F, and SSTB though.

Info for QBI is included on each K-1, on Line 20 for 1065 and Line 17 for 1120S, and there are corresponding line items for those entries in the left panel of PTO.  You may want to re-read at least these 2 articles:

https://accountants-community.intuit.com/articles/1786608-proconnect-tax-online-simplified-worksheet...

https://accountants-community.intuit.com/articles/1791143-proconnect-tax-online-complex-worksheet-se...

[Edited: Remove incorrect reference to comment]

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
Maya didn't make the "Does not work on page 2 of Schedule E, otherwise a good answer." referring to the CLICK HERE. At least I didn't even mention sunshine. I am really trying to be Mr. Niceguy for a while.
I agree that PTO is very awkwardly designed, but I never woulda thunk that someone would try to prepare tax returns professionally on their phone.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
Oops, my bad - I didn't realize the comment wasn't from Maya :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
I'd be surprised people do try to prepare returns on the phone but it does look like Intuit did change the input screen a bit this year to accommodate mobile devices but the feedback from the PTO FB group has not been good.  Personally, I like the input layout from previous years better.

The big selling point with PTO (other than the price point) is that it's in the cloud, so it's mobile (but needing constant internet access is the trade off) and you don't have to worry so much about data backup and security of maintaining a physical drive/server.
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

Try these links https://accountants-community.intuit.com/search?filters%5Bcountry%5D=US&filters%5Bdocument_type%5D=A...

QBI from a K-1 is from the K-1 input. Just follow the lines on the K-1 to the corresponding lines of the K-1 input. 

If you were to share what flavor of K-1 you were working from, someone might be able to help. 

Along the left edge, there is Live Chat, which is currently offline. https://accountants-community.intuit.com/articles/1606322-proconnect-tax-online-support-hours

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Based on numerous posts, you have to double click at the entry point.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
This is PTO; I think it is only ProSeries that has the stupid double-click requirement.

The QBI in connection with K-1s may still not be fully functional, so that may be the problem.   @maya   Does the K-1 show the QBI information?
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
Ooooooops. :-1::-1:
"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
Does not work on page 2 of Schedule E, otherwise a good answer.

0 Cheers