Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am trying to enter unreimbursed medical expenses on my Ohio return. I have tried every combination available, but the program keeps saying I am entering the place.

Bob627
Level 1
States I am entering it in the "not eligible for medicare/employer insurance" despite my trying every available combination.
0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
George4Tacks
Level 15

I believe you should enter in Deductions > Itemized Deductions (Sch A) > I would just use Doctors, dentists, and nurses but you may want to spread them around.

Where are you making your entry? 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
Bob627
Level 1

The program keeps defaulting my Medicare payment to the "Not eligible for Medicare/Work Health care block, and then states I put it in the wrong spot. I was able to work around it by leaving the number in that spot, and then using the worksheet to figure the correct amount. I am definitely including a note in my file stating why I did it the way I did, but I did it manually and the numbers were correct. Just want to have back-up in case the state questions it. It's not a common problem, but it came up because I file mfs and made too much due to a withdrawal, which caused me to get billed by Medicare at the top rate for under 250K. 

0 Cheers
The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

If you follow George4tacks advise and put the deductions on the 1040, Schedule A, medical deductions worksheet, it will flow very nicely into the Ohio IT 1040, Medical worksheet, regardless of your eligibility to take the itemized deduction on the Federal return.

Let the software do the work, when it does it correctly, and save yourself some time and headaches.

0 Cheers
TaxGirl11
Level 2

You used to be able to make an entry in Screen 51 but now I get an error message saying OH doesn't allow for overrides and my return will fail efile.  The software doesn't put the number in the correct spot and you need to override it.  I have a senior that is paying Medicare and it is dumping the number in the worksheet under not qualified for Medicare line 1.  

0 Cheers