Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to identify that taxpayer is a dual citizen on form 2555? Also, how do I do this without it creating an override diagnostic?

lream2
Level 1

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

7 Comments 7
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

I'm not too familiar with Form 2555, but I'm not aware of a need to indicate dual citizenship.  Maybe I'm wrong?

It is likely our expert in foreign matters will stop by in a while, but in the meantime maybe you can clarify why there is a need to report dual citizenship.  Are you just trying to claim the Bona Fide Residency?

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

There is no input for dual citizenship.  You will just use USA as the default.

In the event you are trying to claim treaty benefits, you will need to take a consistent position.  US citizens are subject to the Saving Clause.  Your client can't be tax residents of both the US and another state; Article 4 has a pecking order to resolve that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
lream2
Level 1

Thank you.  I ended up figuring this out, and it is good to have colleague feedback confirmation.

0 Cheers
Babak
Level 3

What if one of the partners is not a US citizen. How can I enter his county of citizenship that?

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Partners on a 2555?

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
Babak
Level 3

No. I was generally asking for 1065. There is no place to choose the country of citizenship.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

@Babak Start a new thread for your question.

Ex-AllStar