Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How should I amend a tax return where the Boyfriend claimed his Girlfriend as a dependent for tax year 2016 and they have since discovered that she had income of $9715.

Level 1
Do both returns need to be amended? Remove her from his return then file her separtely as single? (He had another dependent to maintain his HOH status.)
Labels (1)
0 Cheers
2 Replies 2
Level 14

That was two Presidents ago.  I suppose this is the weekend to be considering redemption and forgiveness, but things that happened in the Before Times should stay there . . . just my opinion.  

Level 15

I have to ask.

How, in April 2021, does one discover they had $9K previously unknown income in 2016?