Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you enter retirement income that is nontaxable to state?

rcooley201
Level 1

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

7 Comments 7
sjrcpa
Level 15

Depends on the state and the reason the state doesn't tax it.

If you provide some details maybe one of the PTO users can help.

Ex-AllStar
rcooley201
Level 1

Alabama does not tax military retirement or Alabama retirees retirement. They are taxable on the federal. Turbo tax has a code from what I’m told but even entering 0’s does not work on pro series.

There has to be a way. We have a lot of this in our state. I’m missing something 

suzanne3
Level 2

Have you figured out how to enter this information?  I am having the same issue with indicating a CA pension is not taxable in AL - the pension plan is listed on the Alabama Rev. Dept list of non-taxable plans so there must be a way to indicate it is non-taxable in AL

Thanks so much if you have found the solution!

0 Cheers
LeeMtch
Level 1

On Pro Series there is a "Pen Excl Worksheet"   The second column labeled # is what I checked to exclude a government pension. 

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

I believe this where you learn one of real oddities of ProConnect Tax (and Lacerte). How do you enter ZERO (0). You enter NEGATIVE ONE (-1). In this software ZERO (0) really is nothing, that is - it is totally ignored.

Scroll down in the details of the pension input and find box (17) and go to the next box for State taxable amount, in different. Enter -1

I would not find a specific check box for an indicator that it is military or in state pension. 

If there is a specific line in the return that would show, this you can Check Return, find the form or line and click on it to get to the input.

I DO NOT DO AL TAX RETURNS, so this is a best guess

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

Normally, if there's special treatment at the state level, you'll find a checkbox or toggle on one of the following:

• Input screen where you enter the retirement income or on that screen's state tab;
  • Under State & Local > Modifications > AL Modifications
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
itonewbie
Level 15

Had a quick look.  It turns out that Intuit didn't program any toggle for AL, unlike some other states.

If it is of those that are eligible for exemption, you will just override the state taxable amount as @George4Tacks suggested.

This can be done either:

• Under Income > Pensions, IRAs (1099-R), on the line State taxable amount, if different; or
  • Under State & Local > Income > AL Income, on the line Alabama taxable pensions (Form 40, line 5b) [Override]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers