Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do we enter the Unemployment Insurance Exclusion ($10,200)?

dndngh
Level 3
Can we access the Unemployment Compensation worksheet? Can we get to 1040 Sch 2 line 8?
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Hawk26
Level 3

If  you don't want to wait for the forms to be updated, the IRS bulletin indicates you can enter the exclusion amount as a negative on line #8.  Just ensure you're compliant with the new regulations just issued,

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
12 Comments 12
BobKamman
Level 15
itonewbie
Level 15

Stay tuned.  Since you can't override Sch 1, Line 8 in ProConnect Tax, you'd need to wait for the program to be updated:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/form-1099-g/help/common-questions-on-the-unemployment-compen...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
Hawk26
Level 3

If  you don't want to wait for the forms to be updated, the IRS bulletin indicates you can enter the exclusion amount as a negative on line #8.  Just ensure you're compliant with the new regulations just issued,

0 Cheers
dndngh
Level 3

Thank you for the prompt useful help.

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

@dndngh @Hawk26 As I said, you can't override Sch 1, Line 8 in ProConnect Tax.  Not sure how you can enter a negative number as @Hawk26 suggested.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
dndngh
Level 3

I think it best to wait - as you suggested. Thanks 

0 Cheers
Hawk26
Level 3

Go to the form "Other Income Statement - Schedule 1, Line 8"... scroll down to line 24, Other Taxable Income, and enter the description "Federal & State Unemployment Compensation"... then enter the excludable portion of the unemployment compensation.

Review Schedule 1 and you should see an off-setting amount for the unemployment compensation.

0 Cheers
Hawk26
Level 3

Below response revised to include "AS A NEGATIVE AMOUNT."

Go to the form "Other Income Statement - Schedule 1, Line 8"... scroll down to line 24, Other Taxable Income, and enter the description "Federal & State Unemployment Compensation"... then enter the excludable portion of the unemployment compensation AS A NEGATIVE AMOUNT.

Review Schedule 1 and you should see an off-setting amount for the unemployment compensation.

rc4
Level 1

When entering the negative amount in the other income line 8 you cannot e-file the NJ returns  how do you get the NJ return to e-file with a negative 

0 Cheers
dndngh
Level 3

Hello, I appreciate your help and patience. I am having trouble getting into the form. I've looked in all the sections and have searched for Other Income - Statement 1, line 8. No luck. 

0 Cheers
Hawk26
Level 3

I'm also from NJ...

The negative UC from the Federal 1040 does to flow to the 1040-NJ... at least not on my returns.

0 Cheers
rc4
Level 1

The negative amount does not flow to NJ 1040 on return but I get a diagnostics that the return cannot be efiled and must be filed by paper return

0 Cheers