Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I report house flipping on 1040? Can they qualify as Investor? OR are they a Dealer? Where does a Dealer report the transactions?

Sam2638
Level 1

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

The facts determine if they are a dealer or investor.

Dealer would report on Schedule c. Investor would report on ScheduleD/Form 6949.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
9 Comments 9
sjrcpa
Level 15

The facts determine if they are a dealer or investor.

Dealer would report on Schedule c. Investor would report on ScheduleD/Form 6949.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
@Sam2638 Susan meant F.8949.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
Sam2638
Level 1
Thank you for your response.  How do I determine Investor v. Dealer?
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15
Yes I did mean 8949.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
:smile::smile:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

If you want more elaborate discussions, you'd find them here: https://accountants-community.intuit.com/search?filters%5Bcountry%5D=US&filters%5Bdocument_type%5D=Q...

As Susan says, it depends on facts and circumstances.  It's the same assessment you make as to whether these activities constitute a ToB.

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
Sam2638
Level 1
Thank you both for taking the time to provide guidance.
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
NP, @Sam2638.
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15
You're welcome.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers