Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I mark an S-Corp return as a superseding return in ProConnect?

Highlighted
Level 2
I found an error in an S-Corp return that was e-filed in May.  Due to extensions, I have until Sept to correct with a superseding return, but I don't see a box to check in ProConnect.  The IRS states that the box must be checked or the return will be rejected as a duplicate.
Labels (1)
0 Cheers
10 Replies 10
Highlighted
Level 15

Paper file a superseded return or e-file an amended tax return. 

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/lacerte-tax-discussions/discussion/need-help-superceding-a-c...

ex-AllStar
Highlighted
Level 2

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/corporations/amended-and-superseding-corporate-returns

The MeF system processes both superseding and amended returns for Forms 1120, 1120S and 1120-F. If the taxpayer is required to e-file an original return and needs to file an amended or superseding return, they must e-file that return. Any taxpayer who has received an approved waiver from IRS to file their particular return on paper is exempted from this requirement.

Without a waiver this is not a option.  Might as well just file an amended return given the current turn around time.

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15

What IRS MeF permits and what ProSeries offers are not necessarily the same.

ex-AllStar
Highlighted
Level 15

What requires the S Corp return to be efiled? Just curious.

ex-AllStar
Highlighted
Level 2

Good point.  Mid-sized & large ($10 million in assets and files at least 250 returns annually).  That does not count for me.

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15

Then you can paper file the superseding return?

ex-AllStar
Highlighted
Level 2

Apparently, but since I can efile an amended return it seems more logical to just amend; especially given the current turn around time on paper filings.  Even if I wait until Sept 16th to amend and it takes the maximum 16wks processing, I expect there's still a better than average chance it will be processed before the paper superseded return mailed tomorrow.

Highlighted
Level 13

I don't see how Sept 16th has any bearing on this.

You stated it Got Filed in May, not Extended. Filing for extension would have been due by March 16th (for a calendar year entity, of course). So, whether you extended or not is moot, since it got filed (in May). "Due to extensions" doesn't apply to this filing.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 2

Actually for filing a superseding return it does.  The extension was filed in March, the return in May; therefore a superseding return would be filed up to the due date of the extension.

Per the IRS link I previously referenced: 

superseding return is a return filed subsequent to the originally-filed return and filed within the filing period (including extensions).

An amended return is a return filed subsequent to the originally-filed or superseding return and filed after the expiration of the filing period (including extensions).

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 13

Thanks for confirming this. We see a lot of people asking questions on this forum where they got the due dates wrong for 1120S and 1065, thinking the March due date was automatically included in the filing date deferral.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.