Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I include Schedule D (540NR) for a part-year California resident in ProConnect?

Kevin425
Level 2
Schedule D (540NR) is needed for a part-year California resident return, but isn't generated by ProConnect.  How do I create it in ProConnect?
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

3 Comments 3
itonewbie
Level 15

You may like to check the CA sourcing.  If there are differences between federal and CA amounts, PTO will generate that automatically.  Otherwise, it won't be produced.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
Kevin425
Level 2

Thank you for the response, I always appreciate your expert advice @itonewbie!  Some of the capital gains for this return are from the sale of real property in another state.  The sale occurred during the period of CA non-residency and isn't CA taxable.  In the PTO Dispositions entry, I tried setting CA gain to -1 in the "State, if different" override and was able to generate 540NR Schedule D, but Schedule CA incorrectly shows a column B subtraction for this gain with this method.  Without setting CA gain to -1, Schedule CA is correct with no amount in column B, but 540NR Schedule D isn't generated.  In both cases, the column E taxable CA amount is correct and tax liability is correctly calculated, but I haven't found a solution to correctly generate all the CA forms.  I experimented with the "Percentage of source income" override for CA in Dispositions without success.  If I have to choose, I think I prefer to generate a correct Schedule CA without 540NR Schedule D, but FTB instructions are to complete Schedule D for part-year residents with capital gains.  This return also has capital gains from a partnership pro-rated for the number of days of CA residency, which I set in percentage of source income for CA in the PTO K-1 entry, but this doesn't generate 540NR Schedule D either, even though all CA taxable amounts in Schedule CA column E are correctly calculated.  If you have more ideas for CA sourcing and how to solve this, please let me know!

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

Not a problem, @Kevin425.  Always happy to help.

Looking at my response again, I probably wasn't very clear.  What you described is just purely allocation between residency periods in CA vs elsewhere.  These are taken care of on Sch CA (540NR).

On the other hand, if you have adjustments that cause the taxable amounts to differ between federal and CA on an as-if basis, Sch D (540NR) would then be generated.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers