Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I edit the name on a tax return, it needs to be refiled with the other spouse listed first

Level 1
The IRS incorrectly shows the spouse listed first as single with zero income and an overpayment in tax on a 1040 filed jointly. To correct, I need to reverse the listing of the two spouses on their 2019 tax return., Is there a way to do this without redoing the tax return?
Labels (1)
0 Cheers
2 Replies 2
Level 15

Why?  If it is a joint return all of the income gets thrown into one big pot anyway.

I'm keeping this job. But I am selling surplus anvils on the side. If you are interested please call 867-5309
Level 15

"...Is there a way to do this without redoing the tax return?"

No, there isn't a way.

And attempting to do so would likely create a mess.

The IRS doesn't care who's name is listed first; why do *you* think it is an issue?

Former Chump..umm... AllStar...This message was typed from 6 feet away so you can safely read it immediately.

If a post answers your question, click on *Accept as solution* for future searches