Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Form 8582 AMT

CTC
Level 3

I have a new client with a 2018 return that I am reviewing. I input it into ProConnect but it doesn't match the original return. The original return has Form 8582 and Form 8582 AMT with identical amounts, both negative. I can't get to match.

I called ProConnect and they said since it's not calculating any AMT either positive or negative then the original return needs to be amended. I've checked the AMT requirements and she doesn't have the income to need AMT, so I can't figure out why the original return is calculating a -AMT. I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

Thanks for your help.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

ProConnect Tax is programmed not to print AMT F.8582 when the taxpayer is not subject to AMT.  If you want to view the form, you can click on All (to change from Applicable) when you are in Form preview or Check return.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
itonewbie
Level 15

It'd be helpful if you can tell us what exactly is not matching.  Because of social distancing, we can't get too close to your mind to see what you're seeing.

Your client doesn't need to be subject to AMT for an AMT form to be produced with a number.  Some prefer to have that as part of their records regardless.  The AMT amounts are used to determine whether someone is subject to AMT, even if F.6251 is not required.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
CTC
Level 3

Thank you for your response.

Here is a little more information from this 2018 tax return.

AGI:                                  357,375

Rental:                                (5,617) Passive, not a carryover as this was all from 2018

Form 8582                          (5,617)

Form 8582 AMT                 (5,617)

Thanks

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

But you still haven't told us what's not matching...

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
CTC
Level 3

Proconnect is not showing AMT. Everything else matches.

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

ProConnect Tax is programmed not to print AMT F.8582 when the taxpayer is not subject to AMT.  If you want to view the form, you can click on All (to change from Applicable) when you are in Form preview or Check return.

Still an AllStar