Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enter two family rental on Sch E seperatly

skyworks
Level 5

Hi,

A client keep track and report incoem & expenses for each unit  (of two family) seperately on Sch E for 2018 & 2019.

Rents, renovation and most expense  - based on each units

Depreciation, land cost, insurance and mortgage spility 50% and 50%

Should I combine the two units into one property on Sch E of  2020 return?

If yes, do we need to amend 2018 & 2019 returns?

Anyone has any experiences?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

5 Comments 5
itonewbie
Level 15

If it's a duplex, I'd keep reporting those as separate units.  It also helps if your client ever sells one unit and keeps the other, or retires one to move in as his/her residence, etc.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
skyworks
Level 5

Hi itonewbie,

thanks, it is duplex.

I agree it is better to separately report on Sch E in case they do condo conversion or move into one unit.

But mortgage loan person question why report separate

itonewbie
Level 15

That can be easily explained.  Everything is above board and consistent with tax law.  Perhaps the question to that person is why this should be a concern.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

Didn't Art Linkletter used to have a television show called "Mortgage Loan People Say the Darndest Things"?

Slava Ukraini!
itonewbie
Level 15

Your response reminds me of those old late night infomercials from a bygone era that ask people to buy programs that teach them how to get rich quick by buying foreclosed properties.

Still an AllStar