Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Efile for Form 4868 for Taxpayers who are out of the country-extension to October 15, 2021

PTO just informed me that extension f4868 cannot be e-filed because it has passed the deadline and will result in a transmission error. Can TP file the extension f4868 via paper?

Thanks for your time and comment.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

15 Comments 15
BobKamman
Level 15

Of course.  And you can file it at their request.  Doesn't require a signature.  

@BobKamman BTW is there any reason why overseas TP cannot e-file f4868 at this time?  Thanks

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

You would have to ask Intuit about that.  Your client might be able to DIY directly with IRS.  

sjrcpa
Level 15

Isn't there a box to check for tax home outside the US on April 15 (May 17)? There is in big sister Lacerte.

Ex-AllStar
puravidapto
Level 7

Yes, scroll down to Extension Pursuant to Regulation 1.6081-5(a) and enter a 1 or 2, as appropriate. I did not try, but I believe the extension can be filed before 6/15 after checking the box.

By the way, if I file a return now for for Taxpayers who are out of the country, how would the IRS know the deadline is 6/15? I can print a message on top of form 1040, but the IRS computer would not be able to read it.

--
Click this link to vote. Like many good things in life, we have to fight for them.

@puravidapto @sjrcpa @BobKamman Thanks again all for your time.

Just had a chat with another PO assistant and she can confirm that f4868 can still be e-filed via PTO on or before June 15, 2021. 

Told her that I was advised earlier by another PTO assistant informing me that the system will still show as ready to be e-filed, but once it is attempted to be e-filed I will receive a transmission error.

I will try to e-file once I discuss this matter with client on the amount of payment.

0 Cheers

The amount of payment on f4868.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

You asked this twice and now you have answers in both topics. The other topic is:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proconnect-tax-discussions/discussion/pay-electronically-for...

And since it has the typo in the title, I will flag it for deletion. Please stay with one topic and update it as you work out the details.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers

@qbteachmt @puravidapto @sjrcpa @BobKamman This just want an update, TP just e-filed f4868 via PTO (out of country extension from June 15 to October 15, 2021) and received an acceptance via e-file confirmation letter.

I must say that I got a wrong advice from one of the assistants at PTO informing me that the IRS does not process extension requests filed electronically after May 17, 2021 (f4868 -out of country extension from June 15 to October 15, 2021), I just have to print and mail the extension request out.  The PTO assistant was wrong.

Again, thanks for all your comments and time.

0 Cheers
1234C
Level 1

Hello,

@The Real Halloween I am having the same problem with e-filing f4868. A transmission error keeps popping up. How were you able to e-file it?

0 Cheers

@1234C Please make sure you do the following:

1. Go to Profile tab and select E-file extensions for federal and state, if any.

2. Go to Input tab -left panel: Payments, Penalties, Extensions- -Extensions- Automatic Extension (4868) select 1, fill in the amount payment, if any, and select 1 for Extension Pursuant to Regulation 1.6081-5(a)

It should work.

1234C
Level 1

@The Real Halloween hmm that's what I've been doing and I still get the same transmission failure message about being past the deadline that pops up when I try to e-file the extension f4868.

0 Cheers
bthshba
Level 2

Me too. Even foreign I cannot efile the 4868.

Edit: I can if the main address is foreign, but not if they have a local address. 

@1234C May I suggest that you contact PTO but make sure you speak with more than one assistants. Please see my earlier responses. I was given a wrong advice from one of the assistants. Please update us with the outcome. Thanks for your time.

0 Cheers

@bthshba If you are still out of the country (and tax home), you can extend the filing date beyond June 15, 2021 to October 15, 2021.  It seems that the program is detecting that you are not out of the country as you are using the local address.