Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need to file an amended return if I reported K-1 non-passive income as passive income ?

quintin_s_smith
Level 1

This question regards the 1040 return.

I prepared the partnership return. I used the import tool to import the K-1 in preparing the 1040 return. This is a retail business, both partners work it full time with no employees - it is NOT a passive activity.

I failed to check the box "not a passive activity" on the K-1 input screen, therefore the income was reported incorrectly as passive income. I filed the return.

This is year one for the business/partnership. The 1040 return result is a balance due for Federal and State.

I copied the return and checked the box "not a passive activity" on the K-1 input screen. The balance due to Fed & State did not change.

Do I need to (or should I) file an amended return with the box checked to report the income as non-passive income?

Thanks.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Accountant-Man
Level 12

Since nothing changed, it's probably because there was no passive loss. Since passive income is always allowed, but not passive loss(obviously), it didn't matter THIS YEAR.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.

View solution in original post

1 Comment 1
Accountant-Man
Level 12

Since nothing changed, it's probably because there was no passive loss. Since passive income is always allowed, but not passive loss(obviously), it didn't matter THIS YEAR.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.