Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing start up costs a year after formation

t-l_porter
Level 2

I have a new client who had another CPA prepare their first-year return last year.  Looking at the election for start-up costs on their prior year 1065, I see that the CPA amortized 5,000 of start up and deducted the remainder, instead of deducting 5,000 expense and amortizing the remainder.  I've read in the regs that changing start up costs two or more years after they've been elected is considered a change in accounting method (26 CFR § 1.195-1(b)).  

So if I correct the amortization in the current year and advise the client to amend their prior return, I wouldn't need to file a form 3115?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

As you said, it is only a "change in accounting" if the mistake was made for two or more years in a row.

If a mistake was only for one year (last year), Form 3115 is not used.  You would need to amend.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
1 Comment 1
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

As you said, it is only a "change in accounting" if the mistake was made for two or more years in a row.

If a mistake was only for one year (last year), Form 3115 is not used.  You would need to amend.

0 Cheers