Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing filing status after extension filed

TaxStyle
Level 2

I have this married couple... they said they divorced in 2020. so asked me to file for them individually for single. However, they also need more time to provide me all the paperwork, so they need to file extensions.So I did, file single and extension for each of them.

Today, they contact me and want me to file joint return for them...I requested for the divorce document copies but haven't received them yet.

Just want to ask in advance, if they didn't finish the divorce process. Can I file them as joint after I file extension for them as single for each? if so how?

Thank you

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Comment 1
George4Tacks
Level 15

You filed an extension for each of them. You did not indicate their filing status on those extensions. Just go back to your proforma MFJ return and mark that it has a valid extension and file the MFJ return. Keep the extension acks for the two extensions you filed.

This may mean you will need to decide how many returns you need to pay for, either use one of the two single extension files, or create the MFJ that you may not have yet paid for. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns