Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can ProSeries file Canadian Pensions Electronically, since LaCerte cannot?

Highlighted
Level 1

Per an article in Lacerte discussions, the NR4 info is entered on the f1116, but at the end it says  " you have tofile it by paper method"  .  How do I find a product that can do it by e-filing, like before I turned 71 years old?

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
3 Replies 3
Highlighted
Level 15

Where do you see that the return cannot be filed?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
Highlighted
Highlighted
Level 15

That seems like an outdated article.

When you make the input for the pension, scroll down to the bottom section for Foreign Employer Pension.  Check the box for Compensation not reported on 1099, and select Canada from the dropdown for Country code if work not performed while residing in the U.S.

I also assumed you have double checked the type of pension payment it is, to determine the proper amount of tax Canada may (or may not) assess under the relevant treaty protocol and article and, hence, the extent to which FTC can be claimed on the US return.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar