Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to show 1099-Q distribution from 529 is nontaxable to avoid IRS letter?

puravidapto
Level 7

Suppose John received 1099-Q distribution from 529, further suppose the distribution is fully used for qualified education expense (room and board for example) of someone who is not a dependent (divorced or grand child). Since there is no place on form 1040 to show the total distribution was used for qualified education expense, what should John do to avoid IRS audit letter?

--
Click this link to vote. Like many good things in life, we have to fight for them.
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

As of now, I don't think anything can be done.  Tell the taxpayer that there likely will be an IRS notice, and you can even prepare a response to the IRS now, so the taxpayer can send that response to the IRS when they get that notice.

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

As of now, I don't think anything can be done.  Tell the taxpayer that there likely will be an IRS notice, and you can even prepare a response to the IRS now, so the taxpayer can send that response to the IRS when they get that notice.

abctax55
Level 15

I agree with Bill about warning the client of possible (future) IRS correspondence.  I also document the expenditures in a statement that goes with the return (not that the IRS will read it....).  Then I can just print, attach to the notice when it comes, and mail.  

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
puravidapto
Level 7
I think this is a flaw in the current filing process, how about the following workaround? Suppose you received 10,000 distribution all of which are used for qualified education purpose, but you report that 9,999 are used, this way you report the distribution and will not likely to get an IRS letter. In the future, there should be a process similar to HSA which you file a form even all the distribution are used for qualified medical purpose.
--
Click this link to vote. Like many good things in life, we have to fight for them.
0 Cheers