Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Opportunity credit

Highlighted
Level 2
last updated ‎March 15, 2020 3:11 PM

It's been my understanding that if you take a distribution from a 529 plan to pay tuition you are not eligible to take any kind of education credit if the distribution is equal to or greater than the tuition paid.  I've entered the information from the 1099-Q and the 1099-T but the system is still givoing the taxpayer $2500 credit.  Any suggestions how it should be entered would be appreciated.

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
4 Replies 4
Highlighted
Level 15

Did you reduce the amount of the tuition on the F 1099-T (sic)  BY the amount that was actually paid by the 1099-Q distributions?

Former Chump... umm.... AllStar.
If a post answers your question, click on *Accept as solution* for future searches
Highlighted
Level 2

I thought by entering details from both the 1099q and 1099T the software would calculate the credit or at least have a diagnostic to check it

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15

I use Lacerte.... and it doesn't.   As 529 distributions can be used for MUCH more than just tuition, you have to manage the amounts that are input.

Former Chump... umm.... AllStar.
If a post answers your question, click on *Accept as solution* for future searches
Highlighted
Level 2

Have you allowed the earning on the 1099Q to be taxable to be allowed to use the AO credit?

0 Cheers