Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How and do i need to file a nonresident alien that only received cash (no W-2)?

One of my clients is an Au Pair that receives cash for living with a US family as she watches the kids when the parents work.  She has a Social security number and the card says "Valid for work only with DHS Authorization".  She makes under the 12,000 threshold to file (she is single).  I cannot seem to locate anywhere in ITO where to select non resident alien.  there is a spot for a 1040NR, but my understanding is that everyone files a 1040 on the "postcard" format.  Any suggestions?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

To generate a 1040NR in PTO, you will need to make the basic entries under Miscellaneous Forms / Nonresident Alien (1040NR).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
Nonresident Aliens still use 1040NRs.  The 1040 is only for Residents and Citizens.

No, Nonresident Aliens do not get the $12,000 Standard Deduction on the 1040NR.  They Itemize.

The next problem is no W-2.  An Au Pair should be a Household Employee with a W-2.
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
:+1::+1:

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15
All taxable income is reportable whether or not you receive a W-2 or 1099 for it.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

To generate a 1040NR in PTO, you will need to make the basic entries under Miscellaneous Forms / Nonresident Alien (1040NR).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers