Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

a clients self prepared tax return

Level 1

A potential client was referred to me. MFJ, retired couple started buying rental properties and had 11 in 2019. Wife is an accountat and has her books in an old version of Quick books. She preapred their return in Turbo Tax, but when she went to e-file, accordding to her, Turbo Tax could not process the e-file due to attachment that were neccesary. She had to file a paper return.

She want to know if she "prepares the return, Can I efile it for her?

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
12 Replies 12
Level 11

I wouldn't touch that with a 10-foot pole but if you want to try, 

https://tinyurl.com/yblyyj3x

Level 1

Thank You, but I already have a flag pole.

Next question is, what software is there for an individual to efile their own return if it happenes to be more complicated than Turbo Tax can handle?

0 Cheers
Level 15
Level 15

What was it they needed to attach or was too complicated that TT wouldnt handle?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Level 15
Level 15

I guess you could Efile it and mark it as Self Prepared....of course you'd have to wait for Efiling to reopen in January.

0 Cheers
Level 15
Level 15
Oh youre using ProConnect, Im not sure if you can import a TT file into that one, I know you can in ProSeries, Im not sure with ProConnect though.

0 Cheers
Level 13

@7Taxlady wrote:

She want to know if she "prepares the return, Can I efile it for her?

If you are filing it, your name is on it.  That means you need to verify everything on the tax return is correct.  That is probably more work than preparing the original return.  It would probably be easier (and cheaper for the taxpayer) if you prepare the original return.

0 Cheers
Level 11

@TaxGuyBill  That means you need to verify everything on the tax return is correct.

I'm not sure that's correct, and I don't really care, but I think this falls under the category of  Intermediate Service Provider, who receives tax return information from an ERO (or from a taxpayer or tax-exempt organization that files electronically using a personal computer, modem or the Internet, and commercial tax preparation software), processes the return information, and either forwards the information to a Transmitter, or sends the information back to the ERO (or taxpayer or tax-exempt organization).  

But if TurboTax is finding a problem, it's likely that the software used by the Intermediate Service Provider will also.  Once you start helping the taxpayer trouble-shoot, I think you're "in for a penny, in for a pound."

Level 11
Level 11

@TaxGuyBill  Bill, an ERO is not required to verify all the info on a return that was collected from TP to efile. As you can see, if there are no errors you don't sign it. I have filed returns for self prepared clients, but inform them if any errors I will not file or return the fee.

From pub 1345:

An ERO that chooses to originate returns that it has not prepared, but only collected, becomes a tax return
preparer of the returns when, as a result of entering the data, it discovers errors that require substantive
changes and then makes the changes. A non-substantive change is a correction limited to a transposition
error, misplaced entry, spelling error or arithmetic correction. The IRS considers all other changes
substantive, and the ERO becomes a tax return preparer. As such, the ERO may be required to sign the
tax return as a tax return preparer

Level 13

I guess I never thought of marking "self prepared" for somebody else doing their own tax return.

I still wouldn't do it.  It seems like more work and hassle than it is worth, for both the tax professional AND  the taxpayer (probably easier just to mail it).

As a side note, this situation came about because TurboTax can not e-file an attachment.  Does this attachment need to be made again next year?  That isn't very common, so maybe the taxpayer can still do it on TurboTax.

Level 11

@TaxGuyBill  "Does this attachment need to be made again next year?"

Was it needed in 2019?  Or did the sweet little old lady who just became a rental magnate just want to explain how the drapes at 4134 needed to be cleaned but then replaced because the damage by the dog, a Scottish terrier named Ian, was just too much to repair.  And then at 156, that toilet  . . .

Well, you get the idea.  

0 Cheers
Level 1

Thank you all for your comments.There is a lot of back-story to this, but all is well.

The retired couple belongs to rental real estate group & the accountant quoted them $1,000.00, per rental fee. The wife is a degreed accountant in the cost reimbursement and audit appeals field at a very big hospital, and very diligent.

They mailed in the TT return and all attachments and 3 weeks later received their refund. I really don't want to prepare the return and told her I needed to raise my fees.

Im just trying to find something where she can prepare the return on her own, if such a thing exists.

0 Cheers
Level 15
Level 15
again, what did she have that needed to be attached and didn't allow Efiling?