Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2021 Child Tax Credits

I can't get the child tax credit and Schedule 8812 to generate on a 2021 return. I have completed the due diligence checklist, they have SSNs, they did not receive advanced child tax credit payments. How can I force ProConnect to generate Schedule 8812? What is preventing this? They show as qualified for child tax credit.

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
George4Tacks
Level 15

This should be automatic. Review your input for Dependents and see if all the choices are 1 for Type, EIC, CTC

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
BobKamman
Level 15

And that their date of birth is correctly entered.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Frustrated Student? It only gets more frustrating the longer you stay in this profession. Unless this is your final semester, you still have time to find a profession that doesn't get frustrating. Being a mortician isn't a bad profession. At least you get to bury your mistakes 😬

Slava Ukraini!
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@IRonMaN wrote:

Being a mortician isn't a bad profession. At least you get to bury your mistakes 😬

TaxGuyBill_0-1669410479836.pngTaxGuyBill_1-1669410500354.png

All of the inputs are 1.

The 1040 shows the checkbox that indicates they are eligible for the child tax credit.

I followed the instructions and put a -1 in for the recovery rebate screen, indicating no advanced credit was received and it still won't generate the 8812. I also tried leaving the recovery credit input blank and still it won't work.

The parents and dependents have SSNs and I marked the ID as verified for the parents.

Something in Proconnect's undocumented, crappy code is preventing the credit, but nothing is showing up in the diagnostics.

Any ideas?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Does CTC get phased out at higher income? I cant remember and Im too lazy to look.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

Thanks to those who replied (except maybe the mortician dude - do you really think it is better to deal with dead bodies than do taxes?).

I gave up on trying to debug what the problem was and just started over. Second time around it worked perfectly. I still don't know exactly which input field caused the problem and I wasted hours of my life on it, so that's not much fun, but I got there in the end.