Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2018 program efile returns

tscott1205
Level 4

When will proseries allow 2018 tax returns to be efiled in year 2021?

I have tried to efile on Friday January 8 and Saturday January 9 but have not had any success.

I efiled a 2019 return on Thursday January 7 and the return went through and was accepted.

Please help intuit community. I have struggled with ProSeries support for 10+ years. If you wait long enough (usually 2 hours) someone will finally take your call. But of course they are never open on Saturdays during the time they roll out the new program.

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

@tscott1205 wrote:

...Not sure I know what MeF is...

MeF is the IRS' abbreviation for Modernized e-File and that's their system for processing e-filed returns.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11
abctax55
Level 15

"....I efiled a 2019 return on Thursday January 7 "

A Form 1040?  -  Not likely, as the IRS has MeF shut down until later this month.  Note, the IRS, not Intuit.

Business MeF opened back up yesterday.

Consider signing up for Quick Alerts at irs.gov so you know as soon as any of the rest of us do when filing is closed/reopens.

Former Chump..umm... AllStar...This message was typed from 6 feet away so you can safely read it immediately.

If a post answers your question, click on *Accept as solution* for future searches
tscott1205
Level 4

Thank you for your timely reply.

Not sure I know what MeF is.

My 2019 1120 return was efiled Thursday and IRS accepted it on Friday.

My 2018 1040 return was efiled Thursday, Friday and Saturday and so far the EF process goes through like it is processing the return but it does not come back with a EF return and the EF center says the "the return is ready to transmit"

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

@tscott1205 wrote:

...Not sure I know what MeF is...

MeF is the IRS' abbreviation for Modernized e-File and that's their system for processing e-filed returns.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

tscott1205
Level 4

Thank you for your reply

Do you know when the IRS and ProSeries is going to start processing 2018, 2019 and 2020 1040 tax returns?

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"Do you know when the IRS and ProSeries is going to start processing 2018, 2019 and 2020 1040 tax returns?"

You should know this; you should keep informed for the functions that affect your business needs. Subscribe to the e-newsletters to get this info timely:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/e-news-subscriptions

https://www.irs.gov/e-file-providers/subscribe-to-updates

https://www.irs.gov/e-file-providers/modernized-e-file-mef-status

"Filing Season Start Dates:

Business tax returns: January 8, 2021

Individual tax returns: TBD"

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
tscott1205
Level 4

You are right I should 🤔

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

And you are using ProConnect Tax?  

Former Chump..umm... AllStar...This message was typed from 6 feet away so you can safely read it immediately.

If a post answers your question, click on *Accept as solution* for future searches
0 Cheers
tscott1205
Level 4

I have had the tax program ProSeries since 2010 before that I was with Drake (a very customer supported tax program) for 10 years.

So what is the difference between Proseries and Pro Connect?

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

@tscott1205 wrote:

...So what is the difference between Proseries and Pro Connect?

ProConnect Tax is the cloud-based tax product, which run on Lacerte engine (at a lower trim level and doesn't have quite the oomph).

ProSeries, on the other hand, is the sibling of  T u r d o T a x  and is a desktop tax product.

Can't blame you for getting confused.  All 3 professional tax products were prefixed with ProConnect for a long time until they changed that last year, reserving ProConnect for only ProConnect Tax.  Nevertheless, they only did half the job and still left ProConnect in the URL of all their professional tax products as well as this Community.

Still an AllStar
tscott1205
Level 4

Thanks for the explanation.

I guess I used the wrong platform. It sounds like I should have used Proseries and not Pro Connect. I have a physical network server and do not process tax returns in the cloud. All of the proseries files are stored on my local network hard drive. I do have a back up service that backs up to the cloud.  🙄

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

NP, @tscott1205 😊

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers