Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1040NR AMENDMENT FOR REFUND

Ataxprep
Level 1

I have to amend a non-resident return to get a refund of the $616 in tax they paid in error.  My understanding is that I have to use a 1040NR with "Amended Return" across the top. I just am not sure where to show the refund due without an "X" form.  

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

2 Comments 2
BobKamman
Level 15

You can use the 1040-X.  You might want to attach the corrected 1040-NR marked "Information Only, Do Not Process" across the top, if it helps explain the changes.  

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

@Ataxprep wrote:

I have to amend a non-resident return to get a refund of the $616 in tax they paid in error.

What does that really mean?  If the 1040NR was prepared correctly and they only paid more tax than otherwise required, the overpayment will be refunded automatically provided they had no outstanding balances with the IRS.

If the 1040NR was incorrectly prepared, prepare the 1040X to show and explain the changes as Bob suggested.  On the "amended" (i.e. corrected) 1040NR, print/write "As Amended" on the top.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers