Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did Pro Series announce any sort of alert on February 28 that the farmer deadline was extended to April 15????

mark4
Level 1

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

I didn't see any.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
21 Comments 21
IRonMaN
Level 15

I didn't see any.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

More importantly, did the IRS make such an announcement?

I don't have "farmers" as clients, but I haven't seen any notifications or chatter about an extension.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I saw it on Facebook, I don't know if the IRS sent out an official announcement in email though.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15
Yes IRS announced it yesterday Feb 28 (lots of notice)

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
:+1::+1:

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
Yeah, I saw it yesterday but it hasn't shown up as an alert in the program as of yet.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15
Notice 2019-17, 2019-12 IRB, 02/28/2019, IRC Sec(s).
Headnote:

Reference(s):
Full Text:1. Purpose

This notice provides a waiver of the addition to tax under  section 6654 of the Internal Revenue Code (Code) for underpayment of estimated income tax by qualifying individual farmers and fishermen.

2. Background

Generally, the Code requires taxpayers to pay federal income taxes as they earn income. To the extent these taxes are not withheld from wages, a taxpayer must pay estimated income tax on a quarterly basis.

Section 6654 provides that, in the case of an individual, estimated income tax is required to be paid in four installments each 25 percent of the required annual payment. Individual taxpayers who fail to make a sufficient and timely payment of estimated income tax are liable for an addition to tax under section 6654(a).

Qualifying farmers and fishermen are subject to special rules requiring them to make only one installment payment due on January 15 of the year following the taxable year. I.R.C. § 6654(i)(1)(A) & (B). A taxpayer qualifies as a farmer or fisherman for the 2018 tax year if at least two-thirds of the taxpayer's total gross income was from farming or fishing in either 2017 or 2018. See  I.R.C. § 6654(i)(2). Qualifying farmers and fishermen who did not make the required estimated tax installment payment by January 15, 2019, are not subject to an addition to tax for failing to pay estimated income tax if they file their returns and pay the full amount of tax reported on the return as payable by March 1, 2019. See  I.R.C. § 6654(i)(1)(D).

The Secretary is authorized to waive the section 6654 addition to tax for an underpayment of estimated tax in unusual circumstances to the extent its imposition would be against equity and good conscience.  I.R.C. § 6654(e)(3)(A).

Due to certain changes in the rules that affect farmers and fishermen, the Treasury Department and IRS anticipate that farmers and fishermen may have difficulty accurately determining and paying their tax liability for the 2018 taxable year by March 1, 2019. Accordingly, the IRS is providing relief to individual taxpayers who are farmers or fishermen by waiving certain penalties if the requirements set forth in section 3 of this notice are satisfied.

3. Waiver Of Underpayment Of Estimated Income Tax

Under the authority granted by section 6654(e)(3)(A), the addition to tax under section 6654 for failure to make an estimated tax payment for the 2018 tax year is waived for any qualifying farmer or fisherman who files his or her 2018 income tax return and pays in full any tax due by April 15, 2019, or by April 17, 2019, for those taxpayers who live in Maine or Massachusetts. Farmers and fishermen requesting this waiver of the addition to tax must attach Form 2210-F, Underpayment of Estimated Tax by Farmers and Fishermen , to their 2018 tax return. The form can be submitted electronically or on paper. The taxpayer's name and identifying number should be entered at the top of the form, and the waiver box (Part I, Box A) should be checked. The rest of the form should be left blank. Forms, instructions, and other tax assistance are available on IRS.gov. The IRS toll-free number for general tax questions is 1-800-829-1040.

4. Contact Information

The principal author of this notice is Alexander Wu of the Office of the Associate Chief Counsel (Procedure and Administration). For further information, please contact Mr. Wu at (202) 317-6845 (not a toll-free number).

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
Dells
Level 1
So how do we get Form 2210-F to attach to the return?  If I only check the Waiver box on Part I (A) of Form 2210-F per IRS instructions, there is no check mark next to Form 2210-F on my forms list so I assume it will not be included with the e-filed return.
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

GOOD...they need all the help they can get right now.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
AshleyatIntuit
Employee
Employee

The URL you are defaulted to (landing page) is this: https://accountants-community.intuit.com/proconnect-proseries-us-en

on the right side under announcements, you can click VIEW ALL, since IRS announcements typically affect both ProSeries and Lacerte, you'll want to click VIEW ALL to see all relevant messages

0 Cheers
AshleyatIntuit
Employee
Employee
0 Cheers
AshleyatIntuit
Employee
Employee
But it was directly from the IRS alert
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
But nobody other than us read the stuff here.  Or the alerts, now that I think of it.  You are like a tree in the forest that falls down and nobody is there to hear it :wink::wink:

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
AshleyatIntuit
Employee
Employee
Well I'll try to scream while I'm chopping down the trees?  Ok?
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
Get a chainsaw instead of using an axe  It's easier to use and it makes a lot more noise.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
westerntax
Level 1
Ashley from Intuit, where would we have seen this announcement at other than in this community chat? Usually a little yellow bar comes up on the program with important announcements such as this one. Or could we have at least gotten an email. I have worked until 1am the last two nights trying to get all my farmers done.
0 Cheers
AshleyatIntuit
Employee
Employee
In program when navigating to Community from the landing page,  on the right side, i'll post a screenshot below.
0 Cheers
AshleyatIntuit
Employee
Employee
IRS just sent the announcement in the last 24 hrs. but I just pushed an in-product alert as well, so it should be received shortly.
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
Westerntax -  the IRS just released the information yesterday.  I don't think ProSeries can be made out to be the bad guy in this case.  If you want to blame someone, blame the rocket scientists in Washington.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
westerntax
Level 1
I'm not mad at intuit, I'm just saying if they are going to make an announcement make it so everyone will see it and can't miss it, and not have to search for it.
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
But in their defense, when they do release alerts in the software itself, it looks like most people just blow by them and never read the alerts anyway.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers