Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

social security valid for work only with dhs authorization

atkservices
Level 1

If taxpayer has social security card with wording "valid for work only with DHS authorization", could he take EIC,  child credit or american opportunity credit for a child with social security card with the same wording "valid for work only with dhs authorization"?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

§32 and §24 refer to clause I of SSA §205(c)(2)(B)(i), which means the SSN should be eligible for EITC and CTC so long as the authorization for the individual to work is still valid.

§25A is less strict and only requires a TIN, which means, for purposes of claiming AOTC, it doesn't matter whether the SSN is valid for employment.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

2 Comments 2
itonewbie
Level 15

§32 and §24 refer to clause I of SSA §205(c)(2)(B)(i), which means the SSN should be eligible for EITC and CTC so long as the authorization for the individual to work is still valid.

§25A is less strict and only requires a TIN, which means, for purposes of claiming AOTC, it doesn't matter whether the SSN is valid for employment.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
atkservices
Level 1

Thank you very much,

Tatyana

0 Cheers