Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refund not received

Alice1
Level 2

I am not a regular tax preparer. I work in a nonprofit, but prepare a few returns for friends. I agreed to prepare a 2019 return for someone I know who could not afford to pay a return preparation fee. She only has social security income, but for some reason, she had voluntary withholding on her social security, so I filed the return just to get the withholding amount back. The client said she wanted direct deposit so I entered her account number on the return. She is not well-organized and unbeknownst to her, her bank had closed her account for excessive overdrafts. The return was accepted on May 7, 47 days ago, and she never received a refund. I tried "Where's My Refund" on the IRS website, but it just said that the return was still being processed. I don't believe this, since it has been more than 6 weeks. The client contacted her bank, but they said they couldn't help her. If her direct deposit was rejected, I would think that they would have issued her a paper check by now. I called the refund hotline and the regular IRS number, but they just had automated information. What's next? Should I try to Practitioner Hotline? I know there's a form 3911 - Taxpayer Refund Statement. Is that my next step?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chasetax
Level 7

Patience is key followed by paperwork.  I had husband and wife with withholding from their social security-about $4,000.  They received IRS letter requesting info.  They no longer e-file but snail mail file to avoid IRS letters.  No, they still want to over-withhold to save up for their property taxes.

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Many refunds are delayed.  If you see that its still processing no refund has been issued yet.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
qbteachmt
Level 15

"I tried "Where's My Refund" on the IRS website, but it just said that the return was still being processed. I don't believe this"

Why not? That's why they provide that portal.

And if the amount was sent to that bank account which had an Overdraft condition, the bank would hold that against collection:

https://www.moneycrashers.com/reasons-irs-seize-tax-refund-money-debt/

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
chasetax
Level 7

Patience is key followed by paperwork.  I had husband and wife with withholding from their social security-about $4,000.  They received IRS letter requesting info.  They no longer e-file but snail mail file to avoid IRS letters.  No, they still want to over-withhold to save up for their property taxes.

Alice1
Level 2

Thanks - this is the same situation - voluntary withholding on Social Security