Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

irs e file

bandb
Level 3

I am trying to apply for IRS efile. I am a sole practitioner, with no employees, doing a small number of returns. The IRS application has 5 designations;1. ERO; 2. Intermediate Service Provider; 3.Software Developer; 4. Transmitter; 5. Reporting Agent.  I am not sure which I am. Can you advise?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

10 Comments 10
itonewbie
Level 15

If you're preparing returns for your clients and transmitting them using the software you subscribe to, you're an ERO.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

1. ERO is what you want.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
dkh
Level 15

Option 1 ERO   

The Electronic Return Originator (ERO) is the Authorized IRS e-file Provider who originates the electronic submission of a return to the IRS.

bandb
Level 3

I applied for an EFIN in November 2020. Just yesterday, I noticed on my IRS account that my application is complete. Will the IRS send me a letter? Then where is the best way to get instruction in ProSeries on how to get started......the Help icon?  This is a first for me, so I want to do this right. Thanks

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Do you see your EFIN number in your EServices account?   

Print out your EFIN application Summary, you'll need to submit that to Intuit.

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/license-information/help/register-your-efin-with-intuit-befo...

bandb
Level 3

Lisa: I have not received any letter from The IRS, but my application says " Completed ", and there is an EFIN number shown, and status shows " Active ". Do I register my EFIN while in my Proseries or do I go to the Intuit website?  Thanks, Bill

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You dont need the IRS letter.  Print out your EFIN application Summary.  Then scan it and save as a PDF   (unless you have some way to save directly to a PDF). 

You'll upload it through your Intuit Online account using the directions in the link I gave you above.

bandb
Level 3

Lisa: Bingo,,,,,, with your help...... Intuit has my application and is reviewing. Question: Can I do some returns electronically and some by paper? I have a few older clients who either want paper or don't use computers. Thanks

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Sure!   Just dont mark the Efiling boxes in the Fed Info worksheet.   

This year Id really try and convince people to go with Efiling though.   The US mail service hasnt been as reliable lately and IRS still has millions and millions of pieces of unopened mail from 2020.  IRS data entry clerks will be over worked with paper returns and more chances for errors to occur.

sjrcpa
Level 15

If the return is not being efiled you have to attach Form 8948(?) saying why not. If it's client's choice you need to get a signed statement from them. It doesn't matter whether they use computers or not.

Ex-AllStar