Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

best tax sofware option for beginner in tax business

Diaous
Level 1

hi community

I'm beginning in tax business and is looking for an intuit software that will meet my needs and be not expensive.

I'm expecting around 50 returns in 2020.

thank you for your advices.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

3 Comments 3
IRonMaN
Level 15

If you are doing the 50 most complex returns known to man, go with Lacerte.  

If you are going with 50 relatively simple returns, go with ProSeries ----------------- or Drake if you aren't actually being forced into buying an Intuit product.

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

If I had to start over again, I would not *touch* any Intuit product (for tax prep, or for bookkeeping).

Drake unless you have extremely complicated and/or multi-state returns.  And you don't care too much about the look of the final product.

UltraTax if you do.

Google it - there are various surveys done after filing season showing the pro's/con's of the various software packages.

Here's just one of many:

https://fitsmallbusiness.com/best-tax-software-for-tax-preparers/

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@Diaous wrote:

and is looking for an intuit software

Is there a reason why you want Intuit software?  There are several other high-quality programs made by other companies.  Personally, I recommend against getting involved with Intuit.

As was mentioned, a lot of it depends what type of business you are planning to have.  Larger businesses and/or very complex returns may benefit from higher cost software.

It also depends on how you like to enter information.  Do you like working off the actual tax forms?  Do you like detailed worksheets?  Do you need extensive guidance, perhaps some step-by-step questions?

Ideally, you DON'T want to be repeatedly switching software.  Ideally, you should do extensive research and testing on what will be the best long-term software for YOUR situation, and stick with it for many years.

You really should be test-driving multiple tax programs.  Each company will let you use a demo program so you can experiment with entering test tax returns.

Unfortunately, you are a bit late to the game here.  You really should have been testing various software programs months ago.

There are definitely other programs available, but here is the annual survey about some of the most commonly used ones:

https://www.journalofaccountancy.com/issues/2020/sep/tax-software-survey.html