Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Client Letter from accountant moving out of town

rpscranton
Level 3

Hi.  A good friend and tax preparer is retiring and moving to FL.  She has given me her client listing  (Name and address) and will instruct her clients to contact me when they call her next year.  Of course where the client goes is completely up to them.

To that end I'd like to mail a letter NOW to those clients welcoming them to my practice as previous clients of hers.

Does anyone have a sample letter / template that I can use and tweak for my specific situation?  Do you know of any website that could help?

I'd really appreciate the help, writing letters is NOT close to my strong point

Roger Perry, Scranton, PA

[email address removed]

0 Cheers
8 Comments 8
sjrcpa
Level 15

She probably should not have given you her client files without the clients' permission.

Sounds like she violated a few disclosure rules.

Ex-AllStar
rpscranton
Level 3

oops, not the actual files.  A client listing.  My mistake calling it 'files'.  I have name and address listing.  I should have worded that differently.

abctax55
Level 15

You are WAY more likely to have a high retention rate of those clients if your friend is willing to send them a letter (at maybe your cost...?) introducing you.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
rpscranton
Level 3

Thanks, ABCTAX55

I really like that. Haven't thought of that.  I'd need the community help here for that letter, then I'll send it to her (all the letters) for her signature and she can ship back for me to mail out.  Any ideas from anyone on the wording of that letter she can sign?  I'd really appreciate any help.

abctax55
Level 15

Too slammed to help right now, sorry 😞

The gist of MY letter to clients I've fired:

This is a tough decision but for professional & personal reasons ...  YOU ARE FIRED (I'm kidding about that part).

Here's the name of a colleague I recommend that'll be a good fit ...  rpscranton.  

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

@abctax55 has the best solution,  a cover and referral letter from your friend with an authorization form and SASE to release the tax files to you…

if she’s kept paper files, she might also tell them when and how they can retrieve their tax files (before she leaves town)  if they want to go elsewhere… 

Hopefully she uses the same software as you. If not, intuit should be able to convert whatever electronic files to your platform… good luck

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
PATAX
Level 15

Just be humble and do not assume that any of those clients are going to come to you... Just my opinion...

rpscranton
Level 3

Of course!  Just trying to keep my name in front of them