Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I File in 2019 a Form 3115 for 39Yr 2018 QIP? Want to switch to 15 Yr and claim Bonus

dennisj1
Level 3

In 2018 improvements were made to the interior of a building (QIP) which under the then TCJA was 39 Yr property, the 2018 tax return has already been filed.  I have not filed the 2019 return yet.  Under the CARES Act I want to 1.)  switch to 15 Yr property, and 2.) Claim bonus depreciation for the previous expenditure.

Is DCN 244 the correct Automatic Change Request DCN number for both switch to 15 Yr and claiming bonus?  Is there anything tricky in completing this Form for QIP in Lacerte?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

4 Comments 4
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Yes, DCN covers it all.

Sorry, I can't help you with how to do it in Lacerte (I use ProSeries).

Have you compared the results with adding it to 2019, versus amending 2018?  You may want to do that.

As far as Form 3115 goes, it might be easier to amend 2018 than to file Form 3115 with 2019.  But comparing the tax due in both scenarios would be a good idea.

0 Cheers
dennisj1
Level 3

So DCN 244 is the code?

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Yes, sorry, I missed that in my original comment.  🙂

0 Cheers
dennisj1
Level 3

The 3115 refers to "audit protection".  Does audit protection apply to an automatic change using DCN 245?  In Part II, 7b, the onl;y box that applies is "Not under exam".

0 Cheers