Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electronic 1040-X Myths

BobKamman
Level 15

Looking up something else I came across this information from IRS, which confirms what I have posted occasionally: Filing a Form 1040-X electronically is like emailing them a pdf. The only time it saves over a paper return is the mail delivery. Back when IRS was not opening mail as it was received, that time might have been critical, but for now things seem to be back to normal. The delays in either case are after it arrives.

Will filing my Amended Return be processed faster when filed electronically?

Currently, the normal processing time of up to 16 weeks also applies to electronically filed Amended Returns.

What forms are required with an electronically filed Amended Return?

The electronic Form 1040, 1040-SR, and 1040-NR Amended Returns (with attached Form 1040-X) will require submission of ALL necessary forms and schedules as if it were the original submission, even though some forms may have no adjustments.

https://www.irs.gov/filing/amended-return-frequently-asked-questions

1 Comment 1
taxshack
Level 5

The nice thing about e-filing is that you don't have to worry about the mail truck being stolen...which is apparently a common thing now here on the west coast.

Preparing taxes is not my life, but my life is amazing because I prepare taxes.