Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different SS numbers

Tiger5
Level 4

I have a client that just was legalized and received there social security number. The only thing is that they worked under another social security number and they have 2 W-2 forms one with the legal social security number and they other with the one they were working under. How do you do there taxes? I know you will have to use the legal social security number but how would I enter the W-2 with the other SS number? 

Last year they went with someone else and they had the W-2 under the social security number they were working under and when they went to do the taxes the Tax representative used the legal social security number for the tax return but the W-2 has another. They now received a letter that they will not receive the refund because the records don't match what the IRS has. 

This is a very touchy situation and i want to make sure i am doing this correctly. 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

3 Comments 3
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

When filling out the W2 worksheet, scroll down to bottom, and fill out the employee information that is on the W2.

0 Cheers
Tiger5
Level 4

Thank you. I did that but the program is marking as Red and I don't think it will let me e-file. 

0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

When you Efile, just uncheck the box "enable conversion error checking" by doing that the return will Efile the return even with errors. Don't forget to recheck that box after sending that one return, as you want error checking most of the time.