This article references default installation paths and uses YY to reference the tax year in 20YY format. C: will always indicate the local drive and X: will always indicate the network drive. For example, the 2020 Lacerte program creates a file called OPINDEX.W0 in the C:\Lacerte20tax\OPTION20\ folder.
When moving your Lacerte data and program options from one computer to another, you only need to copy over the data folders and your options folder.
If you need assistance moving a standalone (not networked) installation of Lacerte to another standalone computer, refer to this article for instructions.
To find the System file path, press F10 on your keyboard. The folders listed below are typically located in the \Lacerte\YYtax folder:
- IDATA (for Individual client files)
- PDATA (for Partnership client files)
- CDATA (for Corporate client files)
- SDATA (for S-Corporation client files)
- FDATA (for Fiduciary client files)
- RDATA (for Exempt Org client files)
- TDATA (for Estate client files)
- NDATA (for Gift client files)
- BDATA (for Benefit Plan client files)
- OPTIONYY (Options folder)
If any of these folders already exist in the \Lacerte\YYtax folder on the new computer, rename them before copying the folder from the old computer.
Follow these steps to rename the folders on the new computer:
- Right-click the folder.
- Select Rename.
- Add OLD to the end of the folder name and press Enter.
- For example, IDATA.OLD.
If you're migrating your program options from one server to another server, you'll need to modify the previous year path in the PROFXO.PY file after you've copied your options to the other server.
Follow these steps to modify the previous year path:
- On the server where you copied your options to, locate and open the OPTIONYY folder.
- Locate and right-click on the PROFXO.PY file.
- Select Open with.
- Select Notepad from the list of programs under the How do you want to open this file? message.
- Remove the check next to Always use the selected program to open .PY files and click OK.
- From the Edit menu, select Find.
- Type "PrevYearPath" and click Find Next.
- This should take you to the <PrevYearPath> section of the file. Check to see where the path in this section is pointing to.
- If the PrevYearPath is directed to your old server, you'll need to modify the path so that it points to your new server.
- Save the file and close the window.