Sync Center is a Windows feature that allows you to keep information in sync between your computer and files stored on the network. When turned on, Sync Center will automatically sync (copy) all files that a person works on when connected to a network. When the network is disconnected, sync center has already made copies of the files that were synced available as offline files. This way a user can work on the files without being on the network. When the network connection is re-established, the modified files are then getting transferred back to the network drive (overwriting). If the files are not overwritten, then a conflict arises. This will temporarily suspend the files that were synced on the network drive.
Unfortunately, Sync Center can cause several problems with Lacerte or ProSeries, with common issues including:
- Not being able to view or modify client files in Lacerte (any year), when others can.
- Options not applying properly in Lacerte (any year).
- Slowness saving client files in ProSeries.
- HomeBase inconsistencies in ProSeries.
- DMS Database corruption or being unable to view the database.
This issue can be resolved by disabling the use of offline files.
Note: Windows 7, 8, & 10 allows you to disable the use of offline files for the entire PC or on a per folder/file basis.
To turn off the use of offline files completely:
- Open the Control Panel.
- In the Control Panel window, type Sync Center in the Search Control Panel box and press Enter.
- Click Sync Center.
- Click Manage Offline Files.
- Click Disable offline files, and then click OK.
- When prompted to restart, close any open programs and click Yes to restart.
To turn off the use of offline files on a per folder/file basis:
- While connected to your network, browse to your shared data path (this can be discovered by hitting F10 and noting down the system file path)
- Right-click on the folder where you data is stored and click Always available offline to uncheck it.
- You will then see a confirmation window letting you know when changing of the folder/files so they are not available offline is complete.