New for tax year 2019, Lacerte can password protect any PDF tax returns you generate. Now you can keep your files secure, regardless of whether you want to save the return or email it to a client.
Generate a password-protected PDF:
- Select a return on your Clients list.
- Press Ctrl + P on your keyboard, or go to the Print menu and click Tax Return.
- Select File (PDF), Document Management System (DMS), or SmartVault for the return type you need to print.
- Check the box labeled Password Protect PDF.
- Click OK to print the return.
View or change the password protection options:
- Press Ctrl + O on your keyboard, or go to the Settings menu and click Options.
- Select the Setup tab.
- Scroll down to the PDF Password Options section.
- Check the box next to Identification number or Zip code, or check both.
- Lacerte will generate a password based on the component(s) you choose here.
- Press OK to save your changes.