This article will help you:
- Learn how to email your clients a password protected (encrypted) PDF file of their tax returns
- Know what to tell your clients so they can access their returns
- Understand how to check if your email application is supported
- Open the taxpayer's return in ProSeries Professional.
- Click on the File menu and select Print to open the ProSeries Print Center.
- Choose Email password protected PDF in the ProSeries Print Center.
- Click Print.
- Click Save to save the PDF file.
- Choose Attach the PDF to the email and click OK.
- You can review and modify the email in the Email Preview screen and then click the E-Mail to send the email with the attached encrypted PDF to your client. The items you selected to be included in the PDF will be emailed to the taxpayer's email address entered on the Federal Information Worksheet in the federal tax return.
- Close the ProSeries Printing Message Log.
When you’re finished, a copy of the password-protected PDF that is emailed will be copied to the ProPDF folder on your computer's hard drive under the corresponding tax year in a folder named "Emailed." The default location will be C:\PROPDF\TY18\Emailed for ProSeries Professional 2018.
The email will be delivered to the taxpayer using the preparer's email address entered in the ProSeries Options under Firm/Preparer Information.
The encrypted PDF file will be created with an automatically generated password based on information in the tax return. The email the taxpayer receives will contain instructions explaining how to determine what the password is to open the encrypted PDF attachment. The password cannot be set manually, so taxpayers will need to read these instructions to view the return.
- Supported Email Applications:
- All 32-bit versions of Outlook 2007 or later
- Unsupported Email Applications:
- All 64-bit versions of Outlook, Outlook Express, and Windows Mail
- All web-based versions of Outlook, Outlook Express or Windows Mail
- All webmail services (such as Outlook.com, Outlook 365, Gmail, Yahoo, AOL, etc.)
Not sure if your version of Outlook is 32-bit or 64-bit? Click here for instructions on how to check.
If you are using a webmail service, you may be able to configure it for access through the MAPI email client installed in Windows. Our support agents cannot assist with setup of your email application. Please contact your local IT professional for further assistance, and let them know that you’ll need a 32-bit, ExtendedMAPI-Compliant email client application to use this feature in ProSeries Professional. SimpleMAPI-compliant email clients may not function correctly.
If you encounter an issue in ProSeries for tax year 2018, the path to ProPDF may be set incorrectly or have additional characters. The path may have an extra backlash ( \ ) between ProPDF and TY2018. Go into Printer, PDF, and DMS settings and click browse next to the PDF path and navigate to the ProPDF\TY2018 folder and set that as the new path.