Before you start:
- You must complete your Refund Advantage or Santa Barbara TPG enrollment before you e-file returns with Pay-by-Refund. Click here for details on enrolling and verifying your enrollment status.
- Pay-by-Refund is only available for current year individual returns transmitted via e-file.
How do I request Pay-by-Refund for my client?
- Verify the return is complete.
- Go to the Input Return tab.
- On the left side menu, select General. Then click on Pay-by-Refund.
- Check the box labelled Use Pay-By-Refund for this client (MANDATORY).
- Inputs for the bank you're enrolled with will appear. Complete the Applicant(s) Information section.
- Enter the Tax preparation fee and Electronic filing fee that you wish to charge this client.
- In the Disbursement Method section, select the appropriate Type from the drop-down menu.
- If your client wants to receive their refund by prepaid card, enter and verify the envelope number.
- If your client is using direct deposit, enter their Bank RTN, Account number, and Account type.
- Complete the TPG Citizenship Status and TPG Unexpired Government Issued ID with Photo sections (not required for preparers using Refund Advantage).
- Go to the Check Return tab.
- On the left side menu, select Critical Diagnostics. Review any Pay-by-Refund diagnostics and make the appropriate entries to clear them.
- When you're ready for your client to sign the Pay-by-Refund documents, go to the File Return tab.
- On the left side menu, select View/Print Return PDF.
- Follow the instructions on the Preparer e-file Instructions - Pay By Refund form about which documents your client needs to sign and date in addition to the 8879.
- Once your client has signed all required forms, go to the Input Return tab.
- Select the Pay-By-Refund screen.
- Scroll down to the Review and Consent section and complete all applicable fields.
- Review the tax return for accuracy, then e-file it.
After you e-file, your bank may require you to upload completed applications to their website. Check with your bank (Refund Advantage or Santa Barbara TPG) if you have questions on what comes next after e-filing.