Beginning in the Summer of Tax Year 2019, August 19, 2020, the ability to e-file your Individual form 1040X is now available (Version 40.0819). With this change, there are a number of specific conditions to be met in order to file electronically.
Please review the following FAQs provided:
- Will I be able to e-file prior year as well?
Individual Form 1040X Amended e-file will only be available for 2019 returns, all prior years will need to be paper-filed.
- Will I be able to e-file the Amended 2019 returns indefinitely?
Individual Amended 2019 returns can be e-filed through the November cutoff date and will begin again once e-file opens for Tax Year 2020.
- Can all Individual Amended filing types be e-filed?
Only an e-filed Form 1040 or 1040-SR can be amended (Excluded: 1040NR, 1040NR-EZ)
- Will the ability to add direct deposit of refund be included with the return?
Direct debit in order to pay an amount due will be available, while direct deposit of refund will not be available. Refunds will be mailed in the form of a check.
- Will I be able to e-file an Amended return in order to report a change in filing status?
Returns that are amended due to a filing status change, must be paper-filed. The filing status of the Amended return, must match the filing status of the originally filed return. These returns must be paper-filed.
- What if I need to make a change to the Taxpayer's (or Spouse's) TIN/SSN?
The Taxpayer's (and Spouse's) TIN/SSN must match that of the original filing when e-filing. These returns must be paper-filed.
- The dependent was claimed on another filers' return, I'm Amending to show that they should have been claimed on this return. Can this Amended return be e-filed?
These returns must be paper-filed. Dependent claimed on someone else's return cannot be claimed on an e-filed Amended return.
- I need to Amended an already Amended return, can this be e-filed?
You may submit up to 3 amended returns for the same form. (software limitations may apply)
- How do I amend an Individual return (1040X) in Lacerte? For step by step instructions click here.
- Does my client need to sign the 8879? Yes, the Taxpayer/spouse should sign Form 8879. Note: The amounts printed on Form 8879 will not match the amended 1040X. The IRS has not yet provided a new Form 8879 or revised instructions for Form 1040X. Lacerte follows the current IRS instructions for completing these tax forms. The amounts printed can be manually updated as Preparer records, this form is not sent with the filed return.