Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is a comment about the Lacerte tax program.

Highlighted

It is my opinion that the program should WARN the preparer if the tax return was previously e-filed so that changes can NOT be made after the return is e-filed.  Every other tax program I have ever worked with would NOT allow changes after e-file, Lacerte does and this needs to be changed!!  We pay a lot of money for this software.  I don't want to hear that we should lock the tax return after e-filing as this depends on people to lock the tax return.  There absolutely needs to be a warning that the return has already been e-filed.

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
10 Replies 10
Highlighted
Level 15

What kind of warning are you looking for?  A message that comes across the screen or do you want sirens going off to sound the alert?  I think the purpose of locking the return is to prevent things like that happening.  You don't like the idea of locking but I'm guessing that is all Lacerte is going to provide you with.

ex-AllStar, ex-Lutefisk taste taster, ex-ACME product tester
and ex marks the spot where those rocks and anvils hit me.
0 Cheers
Highlighted
I used to work with ATX software and a warning would pop up on the screen if the file had already been e-filed.  I don't think it's a ridiculous expectation.  People get busy during tax season and sometimes forget to lock the returns.  Perhaps a software change would be a better solution.  Oh and sirens really?  Not a helpful comment.
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15
So every other software that you worked with consists of ATX?  Why did you switch to Lacerte if that feature was critical to your practice?
0 Cheers
Highlighted
I worked for a different company that used ATX, this practice uses Lacerte.  
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15

The lock function is what would give the warning. After the return is e-filed - LOCK IT!

https://accountants-community.intuit.com/articles/1860047-locking-and-unlocking-tax-returns

ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15

"Every other tax program I have ever worked with would NOT allow changes after e-file"

How would one go about amending a return then?

Former Chump... umm.... AllStar.
If a post answers your question, click on *Accept as solution* for future searches
0 Cheers
You would have to go into the return and check to amend and it would create a new filing with the old info so that an amendment could be completed.  The point is there should be something that pops up and tells you that the return has already been e-filed
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15

Unfortunately you made the comment to other users. If you want to add it to the "It would be nice to have this feature" list, use Help > Lacerte Feedback 

ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15
Or you could just lock the returns :laughing::laughing:
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15
Yeah, but where is the fun in that. Far better to add it to the "Ignore until you die" list that Lacerte has for improvements.

ex-AllStar
0 Cheers