Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Lacerte running so slow

Lisa139
Level 1

Why is Lacerte 2018, 2019 & 2020 running so slow? I spoke to at least three tech person and no one seems to know what the problem is. We ran all necessary tools to fix issue, turned off virus scanning and firewall protection but it still not working. I was told that an advance team member would call me but I still having heard from them. It was fine until two weeks ago then when we install the 2020 program all these problems started. Please help!

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
12 Replies 12
sjrcpa
Level 15

Lacerte is a big memory hog.

How old is your computer, how much memory does it have, and how much free memory does it have?

ex-AllStar
Lisa139
Level 1

New computer windows 10, 1TB hard drive, 8GB memory

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@Lisa139 wrote:

It was fine until two weeks ago then when we install the 2020 program all these problems started. 

Out of curiosity, have you tried uninstalling 2020 to see if that speeds up 2018 and 2019?

And 8GB of memory is a bit tight if Lacerte is a memory hog.  How much "free" memory is available when you are running Lacerte?  If you open your Task Manager on the computer (Control, Alt, Delete) and click Performance, it will show much much memory is being used.  In my experience, things tend to slow down once you are using over 50%, and then REALLY slows down as you get close to being full.

Lisa139
Level 1

I noticed it does show 50%. What should I do now?

0 Cheers
User ID 61
Level 8

Consulted a trusted Tech and her thoughts follow

RAM at 50% is not bad really. It shouldn't slow the system down. Consistently pegged at 100% is definitely an issue. Same goes for CPU, if you see it consistently being maxed at higher than 60%-70% then system is bogging down.

The moose out front should have told you.
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Network or stand alone?

Are you using the appointment function & are they showing on the display?

Former Chump..umm... AllStar...This message was typed from 6 feet away so you can safely read it immediately.

If a post answers your question, click on *Accept as solution* for future searches
Lisa139
Level 1

Network, but we only use it to share files

0 Cheers
User ID 61
Level 8

Help Article Common Settings for Lacerte System Administrators

Several Network nuggets in the linked Help Article 

0 Cheers
User ID 61
Level 8

Help Article Slow Performance in the Lacerte Tax Program

Lacerte Tax is slow on some workstations and gets progressively worse through out the day. This can be a result of the network server being upgraded or changed

0 Cheers
User ID 61
Level 8

Help Articles

Firewall and Anti-Virus Software Configuration for Lacerte Tax

OK I see you looked at AV & Firewall but there's the link just in case. 

Lacerte Program Is Running Slow

PS. In my experience, Lacerte has been slow since the additional security forced log-ins

PPS. If you have yet to experience a Solid State Drive you are missing out. Lacerte will still be slow - just less so.

0 Cheers
Lisa139
Level 1

I agree with all the added security Lacerte is just hanging...

After all the tool repairs it’s causing my other programs to run slow as well OMG

0 Cheers
ssmoi139
Level 1

My IT guy went through everything in this discussion, he said it's Lacerte application. I don't know what I can do to fix this problem. I tried calling in to tech support but no one has returned my call.