Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to go to get PTIN verified? Do preparers need to do this yearly now?

rhoadesdiane
Level 1

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

17 Comments 17
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

EFINs need to be verified with Intuit.  Not sure how you verify a PTIN.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
George4Tacks
Level 15

https://www.irs.gov/tax-professionals/update-your-ptin-account-information You do need to register each year.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I dont think Intuit cross checks PTINS to be valid, do you?
I think its a program glitch, Im guessing they got this message as well

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proseries-tax-discussions/discussion/efile-reject-return-has...

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

Possibly IRS checks. If you did not renew your PTIN, it is not unreasonable that an efile could be rejected. I have always been a good boy, so I don't know.

I do not THINK Intuit verifies PTIN, but then again I could not log onto my program today because I forgot my user name. 

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
LOL. I always have my username saved in the sign in screen....I accidentally deleted it one day and kind of panicked that I was sure what it was!

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

Then I was locked out 3 times - Aghh! Getting old is hard work. A waist is terrible thing to mind. (Or something like that)

IRonMaN
Level 15

In the preparer information section of the program just check the box that the PTIN has been verified - by you - they just want to make sure you have entered the correct number.

Slava Ukraini!
PDX Tax
Level 2

Here is a little more detail for newer people.

Click on Tools in the upper menu

Select Options

Select Firm/Preparer Info

Scroll to Preparer and check the box to verify PTIN

Hope this is helpful

sfane
Level 2

Can you please explain ? I don;t see where to verify PTIN in  preparer section

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
This was posted in Lacerte, but it looks like some of the answers are for ProSeries...which software are you using?

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

This has links for all 3 Intuit products on how to verify PTIN.

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/federal-taxes/help/ptin-requirements-for-tax-return-preparer...

joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

I'm going off on a tangent here.  

PTIN has to be renewed annually (with a fee).  For practitioners who didn't renew, I wonder if the e-filing prepared under the expired PTIN would fail or at least be flagged.

The number that a practitioner should verify is the PFIN number.  Last March, a friend called me in panic.  Turned out her PFIN was a "made up number" by herself way back when e-filing started, and finally last year her software asked her to verify it.  So, in the middle of the tax season (shortly before the March deadline), she lost the ability to do efiling...  The only help I could offer was to do the e-extensions.  EFIN is administered by IRS e-services.  The phone service is quite accessible.  (I just incorporated and my corporation needs its own EFIN.)  In both times I called, the folks at the IRS e-services called me back (an offered option) - in about 40 minutes.  The folks at e-services are very helpful and effective.

I come here for kudos and IRonMaN's jokes.
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

Typo: EFIN, NOT PFIN....  The office is so cold that my fingers are numb and the typing is messed up..  Or it was just the keyboard...

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I was hoping it was a typo....I thought good lord, whats this PFIN were supposed to have!

joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

LOL.... (or should it be lolling). 

I corrected it later in the later part of the post, when my fingers (or my so-called brain) warmed up.

Thank you so much, you saved my life 

rivascpa
Level 1

Thank you.

0 Cheers