Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to enter the 1099R Distribution Code of JP in Lacerte?

SeA3106
Level 2

My client made contributions to a Roth IRA that he was not eligible to contribute.  He requested that the amount he deposited be returned to him. The fund company sent him a 1099R with the distribution code JP.  I reviewed the drop down menu in Lacerte and there's no JP option. The drop down menu has the two codes separately:

J - Early distributions from a Roth IRA selection

P - Excess contributions plus earnings/excess deferrals taxable in 2019

I'm not sure which of these codes I should select or does Lacerte need to add a JP code?

Any thoughts on what I should do in this situation?

Thanks,

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

There are two input boxes for the code(s). Put J in the first box and P in the second box.

Except that this is a 2019 item, so you can ignore it for the 2020 return. Client should amend 2019, if the income wasn't previously picked up there.

View solution in original post

1 Comment 1
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

There are two input boxes for the code(s). Put J in the first box and P in the second box.

Except that this is a 2019 item, so you can ignore it for the 2020 return. Client should amend 2019, if the income wasn't previously picked up there.