Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do you indicate that spouse could be dependent on another return when filing married separate?

megermino
Level 1

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George4Tacks
Level 15

On the other return. I assume a parent's return, if all the conditions are met. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
George4Tacks
Level 15

On the other return. I assume a parent's return, if all the conditions are met. 

0 Cheers
megermino
Level 1
The Married Filing Jointly return was rejected because the "spouse could be dependent" box was not checked.  There is no box to check for the spouse in the client screen when you are filing separate,  I just need to know what screen I can find the box.
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
That box does not exist. MFJ gets two exemptions - end of story.
Your question was about Married Filing SEPARATE.

0 Cheers
megermino
Level 1
I meant married filing separately.  I know the box is not there, but the return is still getting rejected for that reason.  
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
Are you claiming any dependents? If so, you might be eligible for Head of Household
Is one of them your spouse? If so, delete that dependent.

0 Cheers
megermino
Level 1
No dependents, spouse not listed.  Just MFS and spouse info entered just as info, but still getting rejected.
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
0 Cheers