Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where Do I Report Section 988 Foreign Currency Gains On 1041?

Level 1

Hi guys,

I spent 45 minutes on the phone with customer support and about 2 hours of my own time researching this but I can't find anything that states what form to report section 988 gains on for 1041 or for 1040. I'm only concerned about where they go on a 1041 currently. I know that the gains and losses are treated as ordinary income and losses and at the moment the only place I can think to put the transactions are in the other income section. If anyone knows where these gains and losses goes specifically it would be a huge help. 



0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
Level 10
Level 10

I personally run 988 gains and losses through the 4797.

Level 15

I use other income.

0 Cheers