Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do I input the stepped up basis for a property sold by a deceased shareholder?

nicole
Level 1
Shareholder dies and property held in the S-Corporation is sold. Where do I report his stepped up basis as of the date of death? I am not sure if it is reported under the dispositions on the corporate return (It only affects one shareholder, not the others) or is it reported on the individual return?
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

There's no 754 election for S-corps. The decedent's estate has a step up in the basis of the stock, not the underlying assets. The transaction you describe, assuming the S-corp isn't filing a final return, isn't reported on either the 1120S or the 1041 or anyone's1040.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

There's no 754 election for S-corps. The decedent's estate has a step up in the basis of the stock, not the underlying assets. The transaction you describe, assuming the S-corp isn't filing a final return, isn't reported on either the 1120S or the 1041 or anyone's1040.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Is this the right time to discuss why it isn't a good idea to put real property in a corp?

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
nicole
Level 1
The trust holds the assets.
0 Cheers
nicole
Level 1
There is a step up in basis if the assets of the corp are sold in the year of death.
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
"...Shareholder dies and property held in the S-Corporation is sold"

Per your statement, the CORP holds the assets, the *trust (first mention)* holds the stock.  BIG difference.

And thanks for the no vote.
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
I guess this isn't a good time to discuss putting real property into a corp :wink::wink:

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
LOL....guess not.  Perhaps I should edit that to add " /s".
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers