Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do I input the stepped up basis for a property sold by a deceased shareholder?

Highlighted
Level 1
Shareholder dies and property held in the S-Corporation is sold. Where do I report his stepped up basis as of the date of death? I am not sure if it is reported under the dispositions on the corporate return (It only affects one shareholder, not the others) or is it reported on the individual return?
Labels (1)
0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

There's no 754 election for S-corps. The decedent's estate has a step up in the basis of the stock, not the underlying assets. The transaction you describe, assuming the S-corp isn't filing a final return, isn't reported on either the 1120S or the 1041 or anyone's1040.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
7 Replies 7
Highlighted

There's no 754 election for S-corps. The decedent's estate has a step up in the basis of the stock, not the underlying assets. The transaction you describe, assuming the S-corp isn't filing a final return, isn't reported on either the 1120S or the 1041 or anyone's1040.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15

Is this the right time to discuss why it isn't a good idea to put real property in a corp?

Former Chump... umm.... AllStar.
If a post answers your question, click on *Accept as solution* for future searches
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 1
The trust holds the assets.
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 1
There is a step up in basis if the assets of the corp are sold in the year of death.
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15
"...Shareholder dies and property held in the S-Corporation is sold"

Per your statement, the CORP holds the assets, the *trust (first mention)* holds the stock.  BIG difference.

And thanks for the no vote.
If a post answers your question, click on *Accept as solution* for future searches
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15
I guess this isn't a good time to discuss putting real property into a corp :wink::wink:
ex-AllStar, ex-Lutefisk taste taster, ex-ACME product tester
and ex marks the spot where those rocks and anvils hit me.
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15
LOL....guess not.  Perhaps I should edit that to add " /s".
0 Cheers