Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No w2 on foreign income

Ruth1
Level 4

I have foreign income for which there is no W2 and I'd like to e-file. The diagnostics asks for a fed ID # on the employer which doesn't exist. I must be inputting income

incorrectly although I thought I followed the Lacerte instructions on the 2555 under foreign wages. Can someone assist me please?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Kathi_at_Intuit
Employee
Employee

What is the diagnostic, it sounds like you need to scroll down to the Electronic Filing section (W-2), check off the box under Foreign Employer Compensation>Compensation not reported on W-2 and then put the country code in the box that says Country code if work not performed while residing in the US

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
Kathi_at_Intuit
Employee
Employee

What is the diagnostic, it sounds like you need to scroll down to the Electronic Filing section (W-2), check off the box under Foreign Employer Compensation>Compensation not reported on W-2 and then put the country code in the box that says Country code if work not performed while residing in the US

Ruth1
Level 4
Yes, thank you. I did do  that. I'm glad  you asked me about the diagnostic because it was about a MA form not a federal. Just an informational form. Maybe I can get by without it. Thanks!
0 Cheers
Kathi_at_Intuit
Employee
Employee
Good to hear. If it is informational, then it will not stop the return form e-filing, it would have to be Fatal or Critical and start with e-file:
0 Cheers
Ruth1
Level 4
It says its critical. I just have to find a work around.
0 Cheers
Ruth1
Level 4
Criminy, Now its saying I need a city, state and zip code even though I said it was a foreign address. Critical diagnostic. I'm in screen 31 Employer information.
0 Cheers
Kathi_at_Intuit
Employee
Employee
The 2555 diagnostics remind me of Form 5471 diagnostics. There is a lot of information to fill out for this form, just like the other, and when you think you are done there always seems to be one more to check on.  If it is screen 31.2 If the checkbox is checked for Foreign Address for the Employer Information, it should gray out the State and Zip code boxes.
0 Cheers
Ruth1
Level 4
Yes, you are correct. I didn't realize I hadn't put the city back in after I was playing with it.
0 Cheers